Adult Education Program Grants
The purpose of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act is to provide adults with education opportunities to acquire and improve their literacy skills necessary to become self-sufficient and to participate effectively as productive workers, family members, and citizens. Programs must be designed to:
- Assist adults to become literate and obtain the knowledge and skills necessary for employment and economic self-sufficiency;
- Assist adults who are parents or family members to obtain the education and skills necessary to become full partners in the education development of their children; and lead to sustainable improvements in the economic opportunities for their family;
- Assist adults in attaining a secondary school diploma and in the transition to postsecondary education and training, including career pathways;
- Assist immigrants and other individuals who are English language learners in improving their reading, writing, speaking and comprehension skills in English; and mathematics skills; and acquiring an understanding of the American system of Government, individual freedom, and the responsibilities of citizenship.
Applications and Scoring Rubrics
Eligible providers must be:
- a local educational agency;
- a community-based organization or faith-based organization;
- a volunteer literacy organization;
- an institution of higher education;
- a public or private nonprofit agency;
- a library;
- a public housing authority;
- a nonprofit institution that is not previously described and has the ability to provide adult education and literacy activities to eligible individuals;
- a consortium or coalition of the agencies, organizations, institutions, or libraries as described above; or
- a partnership between an employer and an entity described in any of items above.
Application forms and guidance information are available for download on the West Virginia Adult Education website at https://wvde.us/adult-education/grants.
You may register for the webinar at the following: https://wvde.us/adult-education/grants/ and clicking on Technical Assistance Webinar Registration.
Adult Education funds are currently open for a competitive process (RFP – Request for Proposal). You can obtain an application on our website at https://wvde.us/adult-education/grants/.
In Section 2 Program Summary, we are asked to check which activities we provide. I need a little clarification about Workplace Education and Preparation. Is that referring to providing soft skills and job prep., such as helping with resumes and job applications, mock interviews, Bring Your A Game, etc., or is that referring to actual workplace/worksite activities or training?
According to the National Study of the Implementation of Adult Education, Workforce Education and Preparation is defined as activities, programs or services designed to help an individual acquire a combination of basic academic skills, critical thinking skills, digital literacy skills, and employability skills. This includes competencies in utilizing resources, using information, working with others, understanding systems, and obtaining skills necessary for successful transition into and completion of postsecondary education or training, or employment.
One-Stop Centers are affiliates of the Workforce Development Centers and provide work force resources, including job opportunities, unemployment compensation, training, tax incentives and labor market information.
Under the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act, Workforce WV, Adult Education, and Division of Rehabilitative Services are mandated partners.
The state side should include all full-time salaries and benefits.
The federal side should include part-time salaries and social security contributions as well as all other associated expenditures for the program.
The deadline currently remains the same, April 10, 2020. Please check the website frequently for announcements.
Do we need to include the questions and tables that do not apply to our situation? For example, our program met its measures and answered yes to both questions in Table 1a. Do we need to include the three questions that follows since we did not have to answer them? Also Table 2 does not apply to our situation. Do we need to include all of those pages as well?
No, you do not have to include those extra pages. Only those that apply to your application.