The West Virginia Department of Education (WVDE) is committed to offering alternative educational opportunities to ensure student success, decrease the dropout rate and increase the graduation rate. Option Pathway provides an opportunity for at-risk students to stay in school and graduate on time with their cohorts. The Option Pathway is designed for the student who has failed major core courses and is in the ninth, tenth, eleventh or twelfth grade.
- The Option Pathway is designed for the student who has failed major core courses and is in the ninth, tenth, eleventh or twelfth grade.
- The successful Option Pathway student will complete a state-approved CTE Program of Study, pass the entire High School Equivalency Assessment – currently the TASC test, and receive a high school diploma.
- Option Pathway is an all-encompassing program. Both the CTE component and the High School Equivalency assessment must be completed and passed to receive a high school diploma.
HSEA Credit Recovery (formerly Option 2)
- HSEA is a Credit Recovery is for high school seniors who have failed one course, or several courses in the same content area, and are in jeopardy of not meeting the high school graduation requirements with their cohort.
- HSEA allows the high school senior to recover credit deficiencies in one core content area by taking that sub-test of the High School Equivalency Assessment – currently the TASC test.
HSEA Opportunity (formerly Option 3)
- Allows students dropping out of school to take the High School Equivalency (HSE) Assessment – currently TASC test prior to leaving school.
- The successful HSEA Opportunity student will receive the State of West Virginia High School Equivalency Diploma.
- The successful HSEA Opportunity student will not receive a High School Diploma.
How to Enroll
- Option Pathway is a voluntary program; however, students must be recommended into the program by the Option Pathway team.
- Option Pathway students are recommended into the program by a teacher, counselor or other school administrators.
Option Pathway Organizational Manual
For a copy of the most current Option Pathway Organizational Manual, contact Jamie Vermillion at firstname.lastname@example.org.