Being a leader of literacy involves so much more than helping children learn to read. So, what exactly does it involve?
Today, I am talking with the West Virginia Campaign for Grade-Level Reading State Lead, Maggie Luma and Early Literacy Specialist, Brandie Turner about the West Virginia Campaign for Grade-Level Reading and how that work impacts the future literacy success of West Virginia children.
What to Listen For:
- Why is focusing on the Reading Achievement Gap so important prior to 3rd grade?
- How is the West Virginia Department of Education working on reducing the Reading Achievement Gap?
- What four components are crucial for developing a solid early literacy foundation?
- What support is available to counties, schools, and teachers?
- How can you use this podcast for your professional learning?
My hope is that this episode demonstrates that you do not have to be a literacy expert to be a leader of literacy and empowers you to thinking differently about how you can help children, in your school, community, and district, develop a strong literacy foundation.
Resources from this Episode:
Statisticks Lottery (Video)