- Meet labor market demand for business industry needs and align with the 16 United States Department of Education and United States Department of Labor Occupational Classification.
- Are approved by the State Board in West Virginia Department of Education CTE Policy 2520.13 and Guidance Document. Required and specialization courses and student certifications are identified in the policy. Program planning for considerations is in Policy 6200.
- Can be found on the Approved Curriculum List for each program of study by cluster, county and school.
- Skill sets are aligned with NOCTI Blueprints and evaluated through the NOCTI Assessment process.
- Create opportunities for students to receive embedded academic credit for some courses/programs.
- Courses can lead to free college credit through the Earn a Degree Graduate Early EDGE program at community and technical colleges.
- Adult students have access to programs of study at CTE schools leading to certifications and licensures in accordance with West Virginia State Code §18-5-19b.
- Programs of Study are identified on the WVDE CTE Approved Curriculum List for each school and designated as A for Adult only or B for both high school and adults.
West Virginia Department of Education Policy 2510 provides embedded credit and fulfillment of required courses for approved CTE courses and/or completion of identified CTE Programs of Study.
Embedded credit is an alternative means to earn high school credit. County boards of education shall provide alternative means for students to earn high school credit which permits a student who masters the approved content standards for a credit bearing high school course that are embedded within a second course to receive credit for both courses.
The West Virginia legislators provided funding to employ certified Math and Language Arts teachers in all career technical education centers and multi-county centers. These teachers will continue to align the CTE skill sets and state academic College and Career Ready academic standards and work in CTE programs to integrate academic standards into the CTE curriculum. Several programs have embedded credit opportunities for students within the CTE curriculum. Comprehensive professional development is ongoing through the Southern Regional Education Board (SREB).
Anytime a West Virginia employer needs specific training that our CTE centers can accommodate, our office will work with that employer and develop a specific program customized to the needs of the individual employer that covers the desired training objectives. Partnerships between employers and the WVDE CTE Office are listed here.
One of the goals of a CTE program is to give students the ability to gain industry recognized credentials while still in high school. Student certifications are available in all CTE cluster areas. Students who have attained a credential have a documented skill set and are more marketable in the employment arena and better prepared to succeed in a post-secondary environment. West Virginia programs of study offer worthy credentialing opportunities that document mastered skills by the students.
Student Credentials for CTE Programs of Study are identified in Policy 2520.13 Electronic Guidance
The use of online instructional resources in CTE programs contributes to improved instruction and student learning. The Division of Career Technical Education encourage and support your efforts to integrate online resources into CTE instruction. Each year grants are provided to requesting counties for the purchase of online instructional resources.
- Online Instructional Resources Memo – Request Form – Contacts
- Applied Educational Systems, Inc
- CDX – Auto Tech
- DEPCO, LLC – multimedia modular curriculum
- Digital Literacy – Microsoft
- OSHA 10 Online Training through Career Safe
- Pass Assured, LLC – Pharmacy Technician
- Today’s Class
- Tooling U – Student Login
- MS Office GMetrix
- MS Technology Associate GMetrix
- Adobe Teaching Resources and Certification Bundles– Includes Certification Exams, GMetrix Practice Tests, and Brain Buffet Tutorials (ACA Test Prep)
- MBA Research & Curriculum Center
- Digital Literacy – Microsoft (Free Resource)
- EverFi ( Free Resource)
- WV Welcome