Through a developmentally appropriate, integrated approach, students in the later elementary years will continue to engage in experiences that promote positive social and communication skills. They will develop awareness of how words, actions, and behaviors affect others, learn to be responsible for their actions both socially and academically, and increase their understanding of the world around them through cultural interaction, exposure to career and professional opportunities, and the investigation of local, national, and international events.
Personal and Social Development
Understand Self and Others
- Demonstrate an awareness as to how their words impact others.
- Develop positive relationships with peers, other children and adults.
Maintain Positive Relationships
- Show respectful and caring behavior toward others.
- Use appropriate communication skills to initiate and join activities and complete varied learning tasks.
Exhibit Respectful Behavior
- Use and accept negotiation and compromise to resolve conflicts.
Decision Making and Personal Responsibility
- Set goals, develop a plan, and follow it through to completion.
Protect Emotional and Physical Safety
- Express needs, wants, and feelings appropriately.
- Describe how situations such as teasing, bullying, harassment, breaking rules, threats, intimidation, and damaging other’s property impact emotional safety.
- Exhibit respect for physical boundaries, rights, and personal privacy in relation to personal safety.
- Demonstrate knowledge of emergency contact information (e.g., emergency [police, fire, medical, 911], and family phone numbers, addresses, contact names).
Academic and Learning Development
Develop Academic Motivation
- Use personal skills, interest, and accomplishments to support learning.
- Independently and collaboratively approach tasks and activities with flexibility and creativity.
- Use abilities and accomplishments to maximize learning opportunities.
Develop Learning Skills
- Work collaboratively to solve problems, complete tasks, and/or investigate topics of interest.
- Explore a variety of learning opportunities within the classroom and home environment.
- Maintain concentration over a reasonable amount of time despite distractions and interruptions.
- Independently complete routines and learning tasks.
Achieve School Success
- Accept guidance and direction from a variety of peers and adults.
- Develop increased ability to make choices from identified options.
Prepare for Post-Secondary Success
- Develop an appreciation for and articulate the benefits of learning.
- Interact with varied community members.
Plan to Achieve Goals
- Demonstrate an understanding of the steps used in developing a plan.
- Make short-term and long-term plans, as appropriate.
- Persist in activities to achieve goals.
- Investigate the importance of early academic planning to prepare for post-secondary success and reaching career goals.
Career Development and Life Planning
Develop Career Awareness
- Interact with a variety of community members.
- Investigate career paths.
Develop Career and Life Plan
- Interact with local and national professional and/or experts to extend personal knowledge to a variety of careers.
Careers and Life Success
- Use expected workplace dispositions, skills, and behaviors in the school and community (e.g., attendance, punctuality, communication, relationships, attitudes, perseverance, collaboration, critical thinking, and leadership).
Acquire a Diverse and Knowledgeable World View
- Investigate and respect aspects of various communities and discuss how these contribute to each individual’s perspective of local, state, and world events.
- Identify themselves as members of varied groups within the local, state, national, and international community.
Interact Respectfully with Diverse Cultures
- Interact respectfully with all individuals regardless of gender, race, disability, culture, language, and family structure.
Promote Social Justice
- Follow rules and routines and use materials purposefully and respectfully.
Assume Responsible Leadership
- Assume leadership roles in collaborative tasks within the classroom and school community.
Practice Financial Responsibility
- Evaluate financial choices based on needs and wants.
- Create a budget with income from incidental funds to save for goals.