Teachers have a choice between two options for submitting student artwork for consideration in the art exhibit at the 2022 Arts Alive program. Each pathway for submitting student artwork will use the same set of criteria.
Option #1: Submit artwork directly to the West Virginia Department of Education (WVDE)
- Any K-12 visual art teacher in West Virginia can submit student artwork to the WVDE for consideration in the 2022 Arts Alive Exhibit.
- There is no limit to how many pieces an individual teacher, school or county can submit.
- Consider submitting larger, group and/or corporate projects!
- For the submission process, only pictures of the artwork are to be digitally uploaded or emailed to the WVDE for consideration. DO NOT MAIL artwork.
- If you want to send a hard copy submission, contact Dr. Raymond Lowther by calling 304-558-5325 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org prior to sending any artwork.
- ALL artwork must be titled. It is acceptable to use “Untitled.” However, if one student submits multiple pieces, only one piece can bear the name “Untitled.” Additional pieces from the same student can be “Untitled A,” ‘Untitled B,” etc. or “Untiled 1,” “Untitled 2,” etc.
- Digital submissions can be submitted via the Arts Alive website: wvde.us/arts-alive.
- All submissions must be received by 11:59 p.m. Monday, February 28, 2022.
- Those accepted will be notified via email on or before Tuesday, March 15, 2022.
Digital submissions of 2-D artwork should be matted and ready for display. As a general guideline, 2-D submissions should be no larger than 24” x 36.” Larger works, however, will be considered.
As a general guideline, pieces should be no heavier than 40 lbs and should be portable enough for one person to handle. Larger, heavier works, however, will be considered. If art work is accepted, the teacher, student, or county representative must: a) accept sole responsibility for transporting the piece to and from the West Virginia Arts, Culture and History – Culture Center on Thursday, May 5, 2022; b) meet all timelines; and c) honor Arts Alive exhibit procedures and protocol.
Option #2: Submit art work to Youth Arts Month (YAM) Exhibit
- Any Pre-K through Grade 12 teacher can now enter artwork to YAM.
- West Virginia Arts Educators Association (WVAEA) non-members will pay a $10 entry fee per submission.
- WVAEA members will not have an entry fee.
- Please see detailed YAM submission information below and visit http://www.wvaea.com/ for appropriate forms.
Each of the 55 counties in West Virginia may submit nine pieces:
- one watercolor;
- one digital or photograph;
- three sculptures or 3 –D pieces; and
- four 2-D submissions.
*It is your county’s responsibility to decide how to choose/judge artwork for their exhibit submissions.
Submit clear quality images. Submitted work should be no larger than 24” X 36”. However, 2-D submissions may exceed the 24” X 36” size requirement provided the work is transported by a county representative (or the teacher) to and from the gallery and the West Virginia Arts, Culture and History – Culture Center for the 2022 Arts Alive program exhibit. WVAEA will not ship works that exceed 24” X 36” including mats. Send your county’s artwork matted and ready for display. It is your county’s responsibility to decide how to mat their four exhibit submissions. If the submissions are matted poorly, they may be re-matted. Every effort should be made to deliver the 2-D and 3-D works at the “Day in the Studio” February 19, 2022 at the Parkersburg Art Center (725 Market Street, Parkersburg, WV).
NOTE: Do not ship 3-D submissions.
These works: a) are not to exceed 40 pounds; b) should be portable for one person to handle and c) must be picked up by a county representative if the teacher or student is unable to transport the work personally. Every effort should be made to deliver the 3-D works at the “Day in the Studio” February 19, 2022 at the Parkersburg Art Center (725 Market Street, Parkersburg, WV).
Visit http://www.wvaea.com/ for appropriate forms and deadlines for WVAEA State Youth Art Month Exhibit.
Please contact Katy Crim (email@example.com) at Robert C. Byrd High School for the WVAEA State Youth Art Month Exhibit pieces that will not be hand delivered.
Submit Applications Online