The WVDE Office of Early & Elementary Learning was established to support and implement a Pre-K through 5th Grade system of support that:
- Advances a unified commitment to excellence and equity in early learning education;
- Establishes strong foundations for early learning from school readiness through 5th grade;
- Supports programs to help close the literacy achievement gap by 3rd grade; and
- Ensures all children are on target to achieve career and college readiness.
The WVDE Office of Early & Elementary Learning is committed to the development of a cohesive system of early learning education based on research and best practices. Through a collaborative, intentionally-designed, and well-implemented Pre-K through 5th grade approach, not only will closing the literacy achievement gap by 3rd Grade be possible, but West Virginia children will be better prepared for school and set on a course for career and college readiness.
Work groups to achieve the goals of the WVDE Office of Early & Elementary Learning focus around a systems approach to facilitate continuous quality improvement across the state’s early learning system (Pre-K through 5th grade) include:
- School Readiness (including WV Universal Pre-K);
- 3rd Grade Literacy Proficiency/Advocacy and Public Engagement;
- Pre-K through Grade 5 Standards and Support; and
- Early Learning Workforce Development
Phone: (304) 558-9994
Fax: (304) 558-1834
Building 6, Room 603, 1900 Kanawha Boulevard East, Charleston, West Virginia 25305-0330