The Office of Early & Elementary Learning was established to support and implement a pre-k through fifth-grade system of support that:
- Advances a unified commitment to excellence and equity in early learning education;
- Establishes strong foundations for early learning from school readiness through fifth grade;
- Supports programs to help close the literacy achievement gap by 3rd grade; and
- Ensures all children are on target to achieve career and college readiness.
The Office of Early & Elementary Learning is committed to the development of a cohesive system of early learning education based on research and best practices. Through a collaborative, intentionally-designed, and well-implemented pre-k through fifth-grade approach, not only will closing the literacy achievement gap by third Grade be possible, but West Virginia children will be better prepared for school and set on a course for career and college readiness.
Work groups to achieve the goals of the Office of Early & Elementary Learning focus around a systems approach to facilitate continuous quality improvement across the state’s early learning system (Pre-K through fifth grade) include:
- School Readiness (including WV Universal Pre-K);
- Third Grade Literacy Proficiency/Advocacy and Public Engagement;
- Pre-k through fifth grade Standards and Support; and
- Early Learning Workforce Development
Phone: (304) 558-9994
Fax: (304) 558-1834
Building 6, Room 603, 1900 Kanawha Boulevard East, Charleston, West Virginia 25305-0330