The West Virginia Board of Education (WVBE) and the WVDE, aligning to the goals of the joint strategic plan, support STEAM-minded learners in the public school system. To honor the commitment to all stakeholders the WVDE will partner with county school systems and other related, interested, organizations to:
- provide county school systems with the tools to provide a high-quality STEAM education that honors the core academic disciplines;
- support county school systems in developing resources, professional learning supports, and core curriculums that promote interdisciplinary real-world applications for learning;
- promote STEAM literacy by assisting local county boards of education, educators, students, and families in implementing STEAM initiatives that provide extended learning opportunities;
- promote the development of county-level leadership teams focused on critical components and implementation of STEAM-focused education;
- promote the utilization of extended learning through various delivery models;
- recognize the importance of the expansion of high-quality STEAM education to reach all West Virginia students, many of whom are often underrepresented in STEM fields.
To achieve these goals, STEAM-minded WV will honor the strategic plan of the WVBE and WVDE by providing an effective and quality system for learning that supports and empowers West Virginia students to develop the knowledge and skills to become lifelong learners; promote a culture of responsibility and personal well-being to become engaged community members; and prepare for the future with a pathway to workforce readiness.