The Office of Child Nutrition, in partnership with the United States Department of Agriculture, administers federal school nutrition programs – which include the National School Lunch Program, School Breakfast Program, Child and Adult Care Food Program, and the Summer Food Service Program. The West Virginia Department of Education is dedicated to ensuring that all children have access to nutritious meals that support their well-being and readiness for learning.
Public Notification – Summer Food Service Program Waiver Requests
Date: December 11, 2018
The West Virginia Department of Education Office of Child Nutrition is submitting statewide waivers to the Mid-Atlantic Regional Office (MARO) for the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) and Seamless Summer Option (SSO) flexibilities and policies that were rescinded by the USDA Food and Nutrition Services (FNS) through SFSP 01-2019 Summer Food Service Program Memoranda Rescission. The following areas have been submitted for consideration:
- Waiver Request 1 – Policy waiving first week SFSP site visits for returning sites that operated successfully the previous summer with no serious deficiency findings.
- Waiver Request 2 – Policy waiving first week SFSP site visits for School Food Authorities in good standing with their school breakfast (SBP) and/or lunch (NSLP) program(s).
- Waiver Request 3 – Policy waiving first week site visits for SFSP and NSLP Seamless Summer Option (SSO) sponsors in good standing with their NSLP and/or Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP)
- Waiver Request 4 – Policy extending the Offer Versus Serve (OVS) meal service model to non-SFA sponsors
- Waiver Request 5 – Policy waiving some meal time restrictions; specifically, the minimum amount of time that must pass between meals and snacks
- Waiver Request 6- Policy extending area eligibility to closed enrolled sites
The goal of these waivers is to reinstate the rescinded flexibilities and policies to allow for efficient and cost-effective program management and reduce the administrative burden for sponsoring organizations and the WVDE Office of Child Nutrition Staff. Information regarding the approval or denial of these waiver requests will be posted here and will be provided to all sponsors via email once USDA makes the determination. For more information, please contact Cybele Boehm at firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: (304) 558-3396
Fax: (304) 558-1149
Building 6, Room 750, 1900 Kanawha Boulevard East, Charleston, West Virginia 25305-0330