February 16, 2022 @ 4:00 pm - February 17, 2022 @ 7:00 pm
Experienced educators wishing to serve as mentor teachers during the 2022-23 school year are encouraged to participate in this professional learning session. This session is geared toward experienced teachers who will work as mentors for new teachers. Both those who have never attended mentor AND/OR those who attended mentor training prior to fall 2006 are invited to attend.
Mentors will receive training based on the New Teacher Center’s Foundations in Mentoring. This model focuses on the knowledge, skills, and understandings for those who mentor new teachers. The mentor training is guided by the belief that learning to teach is a career-long developmental process that involves a continuous cycle of planning, teaching, and reflecting. Some of the key concepts included are the following:
- Creating a Vision of Quality Teaching
- Defining Mentoring Roles
- Identifying New Teachers’ Needs
- Building an Effective Mentoring Relationship
- Selecting Support Strategies
- Establishing an Environment for Professional Growth
- Highlighting the Role of Professional Standards in mentoring
This event will take place from 4 p.m. – 7 p.m. on Wednesday and Thursday. Attendance is required for both days.