March 12, 2019
CHARLESTON, W.Va. – The West Virginia Department of Education (WVDE) today announced the following dates and locations for statewide education forums:
- March 18 – Cabell Midland High School, 2300 U.S. Route 60 East, Ona, WV
- March 19 – Mount View High School, 950 Mount View Road, Welch, WV
- March 20 – Capital High School, 1500 Greenbrier Street, Charleston, WV
- March 21 – Woodrow Wilson High School, 400 Stanaford Road, Beckley, WV
- April 1 – Robert C. Byrd High School, 1 Eagle Way, Clarksburg, WV
- April 2 – Wheeling Park High School, 1976 Park View Road, Wheeling, WV
- April 3 – Berkeley Springs High School, 149 Concord Avenue, Berkeley Springs, WV
Each forum will begin promptly at 6 p.m. with a short presentation, followed by roundtable discussions in groups. The small group discussions will seek input on the core issues surrounding education and bring together a range of perspectives and viewpoints from across the state.
The seven forums will provide opportunities for stakeholders to engage in constructive dialogue regarding possible education reform that may be considered during the special legislative session. Each forum will be facilitated by the Consensus Building Institute (CBI).
All are invited to attend the public workshop. Pre-registration is preferred, but not required. Participants can pre-register by visiting https://wvde.us/education-public-forum/.
“I look forward to the opportunity to elicit input and encourage all parties with an interest in education to participate,” said West Virginia Superintendent of Schools, Dr. Steven Paine. “This is a great opportunity for all stakeholders to engage in a constructive discussion on how to best improve education in West Virginia.”
The WVDE will provide a report to Governor Justice and members of the West Virginia legislature, with a goal of summarizing the statewide forums and highlighting research-based strategies that will improve student achievement.