The State System of Support is designed to:
- Support continuous school improvement in all schools and school districts
- Assist identified low performing schools as well as other schools and districts as requested
- Focus on leadership at the building and school district levels
- Build district capacity to support low performing schools to guide continuous improvement
- Support the development of network schools based on Predictive Analytics to guide continuous improvement
The West Virginia Standards for High Quality Schools (Policy 2322) form the foundation of school improvement efforts. These Standards outline clear expectations for excellence, provide rubrics for self-reflection and drive continuous improvement for all schools in the state. The West Virginia Standards for High Quality Schools consist of seven standards with individual function statements and indicators. The WVDE Office of Leadership & System Support provides targeted support that promotes school-wide efforts aligned to the West Virginia’s Standards for High Quality Schools.
Community members are invited by schools to take an active role in the Cycle of Continuous Improvement. Parents, guardians, and community members may be asked to serve as committee members of the school LSIC (Local School Improvement Council), as stakeholder input is essential to the School Strategic Planning process.
The WVDE Office of Leadership & System Support conducts Diagnostic Reviews of individual schools. Parents and guardians are also invited to participate in this process, which provides the school with a detailed set of recommendations for school improvement based on the West Virginia Standards for High Quality Schools.