Partnering organizations focus on increasing the capacity of schools to ensure student success. By sharing each organization’s programs, opportunities, resources and information with schools, students will become aware of opportunities to serve as leaders within their communities and experience positive outcomes throughout their lives. This includes shared goals that all students will stay in school and graduate from high school, college and career ready. The partnership contributes to developing strong communities with a productive, civically active and well-educated workforce. The Common Ground website offers information supportive of schools, students and military families.
History of Compact
In 2011, a Memorandum of Understanding established a partnership between the West Virginia Department of Education, the West Virginia Board of Education, United States military organizations and other entities serving West Virginia.
In 2013, an updated Compact was signed to reestablish the understanding among partners.
Effective July 29, 2015, an updated Compact was signed to reestablish the understanding among partners.
On December 7, 2018, an updated Compact was signed to reestablish the understanding among partners.
On December 7, 2021, an updated Compact was signed to reestablish the understanding among partners.
- On November 2, 2022, an addendum was approved to the December 7, 2021 Compact, to include WV Task Force Miner, which consists of Marshall University ROTC, University of Charleston ROTC, West Virginia Institute of Technology ROTC, Fairmont State University ROTC and Waynesburg College ROTC
- On April 3, 2023 an addendum was approved to the December 7, 2021 Compact, to include the 338th Recruiting Squadron of Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio.
Common Ground Partnership Summary Video
- The West Virginia Department of Education (WVDE);
- West Virginia Board of Education (WVBE);
- Governor’s Office of the State of West Virginia;
- West Virginia National Guard;
- United States Army Recruiting Battalion Richmond, VA;
- United States Army Recruiting Battalion Columbus, OH;
- Navy Talent Acquisition Group Pittsburgh, PA;
- Navy Talent Acquisition Group Ohio River Valley;
- United States Marine Corps Recruiting Stations in West Virginia;
- Military Entrance Processing Command Beckley;
- West Virginia Wing – Civil Air Patrol;
- West Virginia Congress of Parents and Teachers, Inc. (WVPTA);
- Prevent Suicide WV;
- Military Officers Association of America for West Virginia;
- West Virginia American Legion;
- West Virginia Veterans of Foreign Wars;
- WV Task Force Miner;
- West Virginia Department of Veterans Assistance
- 338th Recruiting Squadron of Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio
Contact the West Virginia Department of Education:
Office of Educator Development and Support Services
Mr. Robert P. Mellace III
Contact Common Ground Military Partners:
Beckley Military Entrance Processing Station
US Army Recruiting Battalion, Columbus
- Mrs. Courtney Tyree
US Army Recruiting Battalion, Richmond
Mr. William Hall
US Marine Corps Recruiting Stations, Columbus
- CPT Kevin Heine
US Marine Corps Recruiting Stations, Frederick
- MAJ Daniel Chamberlin
US Navy Talent Acquisition Group, Pittsburgh
Mrs. Cherie Rullo
US Navy Talent Acquisition Group of the Ohio River Valley
PO1 Eric Andrews and Mrs. Dawn Batross
The West Virginia National Guard
(Air Force and Army)
Mr. Andrew Higginbotham and COL William Annie
WV Task Force Miner (ROTC at Marshall University, University of Charleston, West Virginia Institute of Technology, Fairmont State University and Waynesburg College)
- Kelli Brewer
WV Wing, Civil Air Patrol, US Air Force Auxiliary
- COL Connie Moody