During the month of April, the Department of Defense Education Activity (DODEA) and school systems across the country honor the courage and resiliency of military-connected children by celebrating, “Purple Up” month. Purple is the appropriate color to recognize military children from all branches, because it represents a combination of Army green, Marine Corps red, and blue from the Coast Guard, Air Force, and Navy.
Click here to review this year’s Month of the Military Child and Purple Up for Military Kids Day proclamation from the Office of the Governor.
In West Virginia, Common Ground Partners including the West Virginia Department of Education and the West Virginia National Guard’s Child and Youth Program encourage schools to celebrate Spirit Week from April 17 – 21, with April 19th being designated as “Purple Up” day. If there are reasons a school cannot celebrate Spirit Week or “Purple Up” day on the 19th, the school may select more convenient dates of their choosing during the month of April.
Educators can use the resources below to join in on the celebrations and contact Mrs. Electa Crowder at email@example.com or Mr. Robert Mellace at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions
When designing communications for celebrating in West Virginia:
- Purple Up Month is April (you may celebrate “Purple Up” day on April 19, 2023, or any other day in April)
- Spirit Week is April 17-21, 2023:
- Download the West Virginia Spirit Week Poster, display it in the building and communicate with students, parents and guardians.
- Monday, April 17, 2023 – Military Monday – Wear clothing showing pride in your favorite branch of the military.
- Tuesday, April 18, 2023 – Crazy Camo Day – Wear your favorite camouflaged clothing.
- Wednesday, April 19, 2023 – “Purple Up” Day – Join communities across our state and nation in honoring military-connected children by wearing purple (a mix of all military branch colors) and engage in activities celebrating their strength and resiliency.
- Thursday, April 20, 2023 – Red, White, and Blue Day – Wear colors representing our nation’s flag.
- Friday, April 21, 2023 – RED Day – Wear red to Remember Everyone Deployed.
You may share media and photos from events at #CommonGroundWV.
Please follow all federal, state and local guidelines for sharing event media.
Purple Up Month Celebration Ideas for Schools
- Ideas from MIC3
- Ideas from the Military Child Education Coalition